By: Amelia Noble, Researcher with the CBD Awareness Project
Want to take your yoga practice to the next level? CBD could be a solution. Both CBD and yoga can help support relief from stress and anxiety, and help you improve your overall wellness. When you bring them together, they can help you better focus on your yoga practice and even get relief from sore muscles and joints after class.
Thinking about incorporating CBD in your yoga practice? This is what you need to know.
- CBD is a cannabinoid, like THC, but not the same. CBD, short for cannabidiol, is one of many cannabinoids sourced from the cannabis plant — just like THC. But unlike THC, which comes from the marijuana plant, CBD is typically sourced from industrial hemp.
- CBD isn’t going to get you high. While CBD might make you feel better, you won’t get high from it. CBD oil can have trace amounts of THC, but not nearly enough for you to feel the euphoric effects that are typical of THC use.
- CBD’s benefits are extensive. CBD is anti-inflammatory and can offer relief for pain, anxiety, even poor sleep and other chronic conditions. It’s a therapeutic drug with many different applications.
- Together (or separate), yoga and CBD can help with relaxing, soothing, and coping with daily life. Both offer a more relaxing lifestyle and can support your overall health and wellness and pairing them together can take relief to the next level.
- You can use CBD to focus better during yoga practice. When you’re doing yoga, you might find your mind wandering, and even bringing up feelings of stress. But if you take CBD beforehand, you might be able to focus better on your yoga poses and let go of anxious and stressful thoughts.
- After yoga practice, CBD could help you alleviate any discomfort. For example, you might have sore muscles or joints after an intense yoga session, but using CBD can help alleviate that with its anti-inflammatory response and help you feel better.
- CBD can be taken in a number of different ways. You can choose from a variety of options when taking CBD. There are inhalation methods, like vaping, or edibles such as candy or even snacks you can eat before you head into your yoga class. After class, you may want to use a topical solution, such as creams or bath bombs.
- The different methods of taking CBD can differ in timing. Generally, CBD will offer the same effects, however, you may choose one way to take it over another depending on how quickly you want it to work. For example, an edible might be an easy way for you to use CBD, but could take some time to kick in. If you’re about to start doing yoga, it might make sense to use something faster, like vaping.
- Adjust your dosage as needed. There isn’t a surefire dosage level that works for everyone, so it’s a good idea to experiment and find the amount of CBD you really need to be effective. Start out by trying the lowest recommended dosage on the package, and then increase your dosage as needed if you’re not getting the relief you want.
If you’re curious about using CBD along with yoga practice, give it a shot. You may find that you have an easier time with focusing, recovery, and relaxation.
About the Author:
Amelia Noble is a researcher with the CBD Awareness Project. Find more information on CBD on their website.